Vintage petrol fuel can – original dark green paintwork. Attractive display item from bygone era. See historical contextual notes below. 1920’s 1930’s base marked F. LTD 6-38 – see notes below F Francis & Sons Ltd. 1923 – Power Petroleum Co established as independent distributor of petrol imported from RUSSIA. 1934 – Shell-Mex & BP acquired Power Petroleum Co. Complete with sturdy carry handle and cap. POWER ETHYL marked inside diamond shape on sides. ESSO marked on brass cap with security wire holes. Top surface marked with price 3/- (3 shillings). PETROLEUM SPIRIT HIGHLY INFLAMMABLE. THE POWER PETROLEUM CO. RIVERSIDE WHARF, WEST STREET, CHARLTON SE7. Some surface rust marking but no holes. Some paint flaked off – galvanised steel underneath paint although base has some corrosion. 2 Gallon capacity Empty WT 1.51 kg HT 33 cm W 25 cm D 15 cm. AA Motoring Trust data shows that the average price of petrol was 35.5p in 1921. The price of 3/ – (3 shillings = 36p) stamped on the top surface of this fuel tin would suggest that a likely date of manufacture and use of this fuel can for resale to private motorists may have been 1923 when the company was first established. At that time the cans were embossed POWER ETHYL. Later cans were embossed POWER PETROL. Before WWI, petrol hadbeen distributed in two-gallon tins. Restrictions on storage due to safetyconcerns meant retailers were limited to stocking a few tins, often from avariety of producers. As demand for motor spirit grew theinefficient system inflated distribution costs, reduced profit margins, andstimulated the development and use of the petrol pump. Following the widespread adoption of the petrol pump, from 1920 , oil majors were able to wield even more control over the emerging distribution infrastructure. The Soviets managed to put a wedge into the gap caused by differences between Franco-Belgian and Anglo-American interests. They did this by concluding contracts for large deliveries with independent British companies. F Francis & Sons Limited. Operated for over 100 years mostly in the borough of Greenwich at Thames Ironworks, site of the former John Penn marine engine works in Blackheath Road but originally at Trundley’s Road in Deptford. The company was a hive of industry turning out vast quantities of tinplate containers almost entirely from components made on site. Tinplate sheets were received in mostly from the Park Royal railhead then printed to the customers’ designs in the print shop and the sheets oven dried before being stacked at the end of the line for transfer to the printed stock store. Customers would call off their designs by the thousand with the large oil companies placing orders for say 100,000 5 litre rectangular cans with approximately 10,000 per vehicle. The item “VINTAGE 1920’s POWER ETHYL PETROL CAN BRASS SCREW CAP 2 GALLON DARK MOD GREEN” is in sale since Tuesday, June 26, 2018. This item is in the category “Collectables\Advertising Collectables\Transportation Advertising\Petrol/Oil Advertising”. The seller is “wwwrecycle” and is located in Bury St. Edmunds. This item can be shipped worldwide.
- Advertising type: Transportation
- Transportation: Petrol/ Oil
- Country/Region of Manufacture: United Kingdom
- Original/Reproduction: Original